Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Emperor's Egg (FREEBIE!)

I saw this and bout died, y'all!  We got let out today at 11:00 because of possible snow...
I'm still waiting.

With all that going on, we're trying to wrap up our penguin unit.  I work with some wonderful and creative ladies and some of them came up with a literacy companion to "The Emperor's Egg."

We activated our schema's by asking what we knew about penguins.  

Then we used "penguin's can, have, are" to collect words.  Then we sorted the used by whether they were nouns, adjectives or verbs...

After reading the book, we used our interactive reading notebooks to collect three key details and the topic.  I don't have a picture of that activity :(

With the weather permitting, tomorrow we'll get our minds warmed up using a four-square model with the word "hatches."


Then, I'll put my little friends into groups.  Each group will get a set of pictures to put in sequential order.  They'll use their interactive reading notebooks to write about the order of the pictures.


We also have lots of comparing and vocabulary activities to get done.  
This was such a great unit, I figured I'd share it with y'all for free!


If you're interested in all the reading response activities, vocab, etc.  CLICK HERE!

Hunker down snow friends!





1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ashley! I love your penguin activities! They are great for reading response journals! I can't wait to use them with my firsties! Thanks for sharing!

    Kristen
    A+ Classroom Creations

    ReplyDelete