Friday, March 20, 2015

Five for Friday and Free Math Centers!

I'm doing my weekly link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching!


We track out in FIVE DAYS for our three week vaca!  Woo Hoo!!
Since we are going to be on vacation over Easter, I quickly put up some new goodies at the Work on Writing area.  The work on writing pack for April is no where near finished but I wanted to get some new decor up just for the holiday.  I also put out some new stickers for sticker stories.
 That chocolate bunny actually smells like chocolate!  Believe it or not, it has smelled like chocolate for 7 YEARS!!!


When I taught school in Florida I was CONSTANTLY being told that my centers "weren't RIGOROUS enough."  Okay, well, if you have RIGOROUS centers, you have a constant, "Mrs. Johnson...how do you do this?  What does this mean?  I don't know what to DO!"
And then you have gentle pokes while you are trying to work with groups.

When I started Daily 5, it was just so simple.

I added a new "Read it, Build it, Write it" center for Word Work that has become the new favorite.  It has the students working on sight words.
Every time we learn a new set of words (we do about 5 a week), I throw them in the pot.
At first I had them build the word with Play Dough.  Then I added stamps for them to stamp the word into the play dough.
 #instanthit
I would say I'm doing my part to save paper...

We had math walk through's from the county this week and THANK YOU JESUS I had these centers made!
We had finished doing math doubles and doubles plus one facts but we needed some review.
I made a sort where the students had to sort the doubles and doubles plus one facts.  On the recording sheet, they have to write the facts AND the answers.

I made a memory game where they have to match the doubles fact with the doubles plus one fact.


I made another sort where they sorted doubles facts with addition facts that were NOT doubles.  After they wrote the doubles facts they had to provide the answers for these as well.

 This game was probably the fav out of all of them.  They spin the spinner.  If it lands on "doubles fact" they have to find a doubles fact on their board and orally state the equation with the answer and cover.  If it lands on "doubles plus 1" they have to do the same.
For this center, they have to spin the number, then double it.
If you would like to get your hands on these centers, you can get them HERE FOR FREE!

St. Patrick's Day is over, but we are still using some of the activities from this pack.
They spin the spinner.  If it lands on ie, they read the word and cover it on their board.  They do the same for igh.  I found a bag of clovers and told them to use them as markers.
(I don't care what my husband says, there is a use for EVERYTHING!)

To add a little Easter to the word work area, I added this center that I've had since the good ole' days in Florida.  This center has traveled so much, I'm missing egg number 8!  
(I probably need to fix that...)
The problem is, I don't even know where the original copies are on my computer!  And the paper has my maiden name on it.  
#oldiebutagoodie
 They "crack" open the egg, (yes, my students act like they are cracking the egg) and they unscramble the sentence inside.
 Then they record it.  So simple.  So fun.  I threw all the eggs in a little bunny basket.
One friend told me this center "was amazing."



Okay so that was five, but I JUST HAVE to leave y'all with some little funnies from this week!


Have a fabulous weekend, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Love your ideas!! I need to get playdough out for my students to use for word work! I may actually put that out this week! Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    recipeforteaching

    ReplyDelete