Sunday, March 6, 2016

Teaching Grammar in the Classroom - and a Freebie for you to Try :)

I'll admit it, teaching grammar has always been something that I put on the back burner.  Anyone else???  I know I'm not the only one...
It's just SO HARD and I'm trying to fit in reading strategies, phonics lessons, comprehension and the list goes on and on.  But it HAS to be done.  Grammar is SO important and it helps students grow as readers and writers.  So, how do I get it in?
MINILESSONS.
I always like to start with a great big anchor chart loaded with pictures and information.  I'm not a very good drawer.  And as of late I've created "printable" anchor charts.
  These are some of the anchor charts I've created to teach grammar so far this year.  They are in no particular order...







Sometimes I'll take a day and explain the concept through the anchor chart and then guide them with a whole group pocket chart sort.  As we sort, we discuss the concept and what it means, etc.

Some of the pocket chart sorts I've made "interactive," like the one below.  This one the students had to actually write the correct punctuation after reading the sentence.







Lastly, I like to follow up with an interactive notebook activity.  Sometimes I'll use it as an assessment.  Sometimes it will be a review of the concept the next day.  It all depends on wether or not my friends are understanding the skill being taught.  And of course, running the activities on Astrobrights paper makes it way more funerer!












All these activities I've compiled into little packs called "Make it Quick!"  They each contain an anchor chart, pocket chart activity, and an interactive notebook.




You can try my adjectives pack for FREE!

Hopefully this will give you some easy ideas on incorporating grammar into your lessons!




No comments:

Post a Comment