Saturday, October 31, 2015

Providing Choice during Word Work Stations!


"Mrs. Johnson there's just SO much to choose from!"
Those words were like music to my ears!  To have a child say that made me so proud.  Today I thought I'd share a few tips on providing choice during word work to make it high interest and engaging.

If your county is lucky enough to have iPads then that would definitely be something you could incorporate into your word work stations.  Each of my iPads has a file that contains word work apps.
Here's the only problem:
There are the iPads...sitting unused.
Here's a closer look.  So sad.  
I've noticed that many of my students don't choose the iPads.  They choose the activities from "the drawers."
I got this tower of drawers from Michaels at a steal of a deal.  And I keep it loaded with stuff to do.
Many of the activities in the drawers coincide with our phonics program.  I like for my students to be completing review activities as well as practicing current skills.
I always am looking for seasonal bags, like the one shown.  For some reason, when cards are placed in a fun bag, the activity becomes all the more interesting....hhhmmmm...
 Also adding simple manipulatives encourages them to take on an otherwise daunting task.  I added some pumpkins to this activity and told them to cover the word that does't rhyme.
#instantfun

They LOVE using the "teacher's pocket chart."  I always say, "I give you PERMISSION to use MY pocket chart" and it always makes it more enticing when using sorting cards.
BUUUUT then they started fighting over using the "teacher's pocket chart."
I had two mini pocket charts I found in the Target dollar section.  My husband built a stand for them and I hung the pocket charts back to back.
So now, two friends can use the charts at once!

And why not add some play dough to the mix???
Sometimes, some of my friends just want to sit and work with the play dough and that is fine!
 I always switch out the containers and mats to make it look like a new center (even though it's the same ol thang).
And my first graders LOVE getting up and moving around.  So why not include a Write the Room activity?  I've been told that this is the favorite activity so I try to switch those out every week.

Interested in any of the activities for YOUR word work stations?  Click the links to take you to the products!






 This fall pack is currently inactive because it is being updated!

And hurry!  Everything is on SALE!

Happy Halloween Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment