Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Behavior Management and a FREEBIE


I've been implementing the "clip chart" for several years now.  I first heard about it from an RTI training YEARS ago and the idea just grew from then.  I got this wonderful chart from another fabulous blogger but for the life of me I can't remember who.  
My students love to make every attempt to reach the Hall of Fame!  It works like a charm - for most of them.  You see, I have one little friend who is a little more challenging than the others.  He either makes it to yellow and thinks it's end all be all and there's no coming back from it or he forgets 2 minutes later and goes back to doing what he wasn't supposed to be doing in the first place!  He just needs a little something extra - but I wanted to keep the same color system with him.  
Enter the stick system!
Some girls I worked with last year did something similar so I just revamped it to make it work for me.  Every day my little friend starts out with 10 sticks.  
If he is not following directions or I have to redirect him, etc, I take a stick (rather than moving his color directly to yellow.)  But if he is making good choices and going above and beyond his "call of duty," I give him a stick.  So, it basically works just like the color chart only with sticks.  So here's what his chart looks like...
The kicker is that he is still able to maintain a green unless he gets down to 5, then at that point he's on yellow, and so forth.  And, he can also get colors beyond green when he has more than 10 at the end of the day.  In all honesty, it has worked REALLY well with him - and for me!  Even when I take a stick, he looks at his chart and sees that there is still hope for him at the end of the day!  Before when I used his clip and he went directly to yellow, his behavior would almost go into overdrive!  I was going NUTS!  But now, he sees he has more of a chance, and somehow (by the grace of God) he calms down.  He just needs a little more redirection than the others :) 

And lastly, my friends have been asking about a new Stone Scoop!
What was I thinking??
I found the green pail and the shamrock stickers at Michael's at 40% off.  The stones were $3 I think.  I've been so impressed with the way my students are using their minds and creating words that I included blends, digraphs and bonus letters.  If y'all want a copy you are more than welcome to get it HERE.

Let me know if y'all have any good ideas for behavior management!  I'd love to hear about it!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment